Creating a New Recipe
Since I’ve started cooking I have done more and more experimenting when it comes to how much I follow recipes. Normally, I tweak a recipe at least a little bit but sometimes I end up creating something completely different. It has even become a more common occurrence that when I search for a recipe, I can’t find exactly what I want. In those cases, I will either combine a few recipes or just make it up. This is one of those recipes.
I wanted a rice recipe that would go along with grilled chicken fajitas (recipe coming soon). So I pulled out some ingredients from my pantry and this was the result. It does make a lot so even if you use it with fajitas like I do you may want a way to use the leftovers. Here’s two ways to have a meatless meal with my spicy beans and rice recipe.
Meatless Meal Ideas for Spicy Beans and Rice
Bean and Rice Burritos
- Put about 1/4 cup of rice mixture into a tortilla with some shredded cheese to make bean and rice burritos.
- These burritos are a great freezer meal. Just fill as many tortillas as you can and put them in the freezer to eat anytime.
- Heat them in the microwave for a couple of minutes or fill a glass baking dish and heat, covered, in the oven until warmed through.
Bean and Rice Stuffed Pepper
- Fill a pepper (I prefer red) with the rice mixture and top with some cheese for a bean and rice stuffed pepper.
- Cook in the oven at 450° for 15-20 minutes or until pepper is tender and cheese is lightly browned.
Since the recipe calls for homemade taco seasoning I have included the recipe for that as well. I like to make up a large batch so that I have it on hand anytime I want to make tacos or anything else that would call for a similar flavor.