Smoothies are a great way to get lots of vitamins and nutrients. I love this energizing green smoothie because it’s easy to make and helps keep me going. It’s packed with good ingredients like spinach. I think spinach is the best ingredient for green smoothies because it blends right in with the other ingredients. If it weren’t for the green color you probably wouldn’t even know it was there.
My favorite flavor combination is orange, strawberry and banana. The other ingredients are there just to add extra nutrients or other benefits but the fruit is where most of the flavor will come from. You can easily mix up the fruit you use to suit your tastes.
I do sometimes use protein powder, but I started using it before I switched to a more whole foods diet. I haven’t decided if I will continue to use it after I am out of what I have. This smoothie still has protein because of the Greek yogurt and lots of other benefits in the other ingredients so the powder is not necessary but go ahead and use it if would like or just leave it out.
The last time I made this smoothie I was struggling all day just to do anything because of fatigue but once I got some of this in me I began to feel much more alert and energized. This is why I call it the energizing green smoothie!
I like making smoothies for a quick snack or light meal. It is especially easy because I use a cup attachment for my blender so I can drink it right from the container it gets blended in. Aside from smoothies, I also like to make sure I have other easy snacks available so I put together this list of six more snack ideas for you.
6 More Easy and Energizing Healthy Snack Ideas
I like to have at least a few options on hand for easy snacks so that I have something for when the midday slump hits. I don’t snack everyday but it’s nice to know something is there if I need it. I also use some of these for a quick lunch. For example, if I have hummus, I will make up some pita chips and put them on a plate with red pepper and carrots to use for dipping.
- Trail Mix: My favorite easy snack is mixing about a handful of each; raw whole almonds, walnuts, dried cranberries and white chocolate chips. It’s super easy and so much cheaper than buying a pre-made trail mix.
- Roasted Almonds: You can find lightly salted and roasted almonds in the grocery store or buy a bag of raw almonds and roast them yourself.
- Homemade Granola Bars: Many store-bought granola bars have a lot of sugar and other ingredients that are far from healthy. I like making my own so I know what’s in them plus I can customize them to my taste preferences. If you would rather buy them, make sure they are not filled with a bunch of junk. I like Kind and Clif bars. I also want to try Larabars (or figure out how to make my own).
- Hard Boiled Eggs: Eggs are a good source of protein (and they’re cheap!) so cook up some eggs and store them in the fridge for an easy grab and go snack.
- Apple or Banana with Peanut Butter: Fruit is an easy snack. Amp it up a little by spreading some peanut butter in it.
- Red Pepper Strips with Hummus: I have become a huge fan of red peppers. They are packed with vitamins, antioxidants and have a host of other health benefits, so I use them wherever I can in my recipes. One easy way I like eating them is cut into strips and dipped in hummus. You can make hummus but I typically just buy it on sale at Meijer or from Aldi.
These are just a few ideas for healthier snacks so I would love to know…
What are your favorite smoothie ingredients?
What are your favorite easy and healthy snacks?