I was happy to find this apple butter recipe in my new cookbook. I was also glad to find that it was quite easy to make. The most labor intensive part of the process is pealing all the apples. Other than that, it is mostly just letting it cook until it’s thickened. Here are some photos to give you an idea of how the apples change during the process. I was happy with how it turned out and it gets two thumbs up from my husband who is a big fan of apple butter.
For this recipe you will just need some apples, spices, brown sugar and apple juice. You can cook it in a dutch oven or slow cooker. Directions for either are given below.
My favorite use for apple butter is spread on homemade bread. Of course, you can put it on any kind of bread but there is something delightful about homemade apple butter on fresh warm bread. I made up a batch of wheat bread in my bread machine specifically to eat with this apple butter. I’ve enjoyed lightly toasting a piece of bread then spreading some apple butter on it for breakfast. I do love putting it on bread but I wasn’t sure what else to do with it.
Uses for Apple Butter
So what do you do with all that apple butter? Since my ideas were limited, I searched the internet and asked around for some more ideas. Once I got going I came up with a few more on my own as well. Here’s what I came up with…
- Use it as a topping for waffles, pancakes, french toast, biscuits, muffins, scones…you get the idea. Here’s a recipe for sourdough pancakes that use apple butter.
- Mix it in your morning oatmeal.
- Spread it in a piece of toast.
- Warm it up a little and put a dollop on vanilla ice cream for a special treat. Maybe even add a little caramel sauce.
- Put it on pork chops.
- Use it as a part of the filling for cinnamon rolls.
- Use it as filling for a homemade pop-tart or other kind of pastry.
- Use as a glaze or in a marinade for chicken or other kind of meat.
- Mix with squash or sweet potatoes. Bake or mash the potato/squash then add some of the apple butter.
- Use it as a fruit dip.
- Use it to replace oil in baked goods like you would applesauce. Here’s my mocha muffin recipe that uses applesauce instead of oil.
- Ever heard of grilled cheese with apples? One suggestion I found said to spread it on quality bread with sharp cheddar and grill it.
- There were actually many mentions of mixing it with cottage cheese.
- You could also mix it with yogurt.
- Spread it on the bottom of a tart crust and top with fruit before baking.
- Mix it with some cream cheese for a new kind of bagel or cracker spread.
- Use it to make a vinaigrette dressing. Drizzle on a salad with some brie and walnuts or pecans.
- Add some to your apple pie filling.
- Spread it in your breakfast sandwich with egg, ham and cheese.
- Use it as a layer in a coffee cake.
- Use it as a dip for sweet potato fries.
- Use it as a crêpe filling.
- Mix it with some peanut butter and then use as a spread.
- Mix it with a little milk or cream and granola then heat it up before eating. You could even add some chopped nuts and dried fruit. Walnuts and cranberries would be a good combination. This would be like oatmeal but with more of a crunch.
- Use it instead of brown sugar in a barbecue sauce recipe.
- Add it to bread pudding.
- Put it in a sweet potato casserole.
- Just eat with a spoon out of the jar!
- For a different twist on apple butter, check out this recipe for cranberry apple butter.
Free Printable Jar Labels
As a special treat, I created a set of jar labels for you to use with your apple butter. There are blank labels provided so that you can use them for other things too. Just write on the label what’s inside! Print your labels by clicking the sample picture and then cut them out. The labels can be use many ways. As you see below, you can tie it around the jar or use it on the lid. I printed these in card-stock. The jar I used was just the right size to fit one full batch, but you could easily split it up into smaller jars if you are using it as gifts.
Here’s an example of what the page will look like. You can also print my clicking the sample image. As usual, feel free to print as many as you would like but please use them for personal purposes only. So don’t sell the design or anything made with the design. Thank you and enjoy!
What are your favorite uses for apple butter?