I started the post out by thinking of good date ideas but decided to make it about other fun things as well. So many of these would make great dates with your spouse or even for an outing with a friend. While others can even be enjoyed just by yourself. The focus is finding ways to enjoy the season.
1. Take a drive to see the changing leaves. It doesn’t matter where you go, just drive.
2. Go on a trip away for the weekend. Since summer is the peak season for most places you are likely to get better deals on places to stay during the fall.
3. Go to an apple orchard and pick some apples. They are actually cheaper than in the store and it is fun knowing that you picked the apples right off the tree.
4. Carve or paint some pumpkins.
5. If you carve pumpkins, don’t throw out the seeds! Clean them off and roast ’em. They are actually quite good.
6. Make anything that involves apples or pumpkin; pumpkin bread, apple pie, pumpkin spice scones, apple butter, caramel apples, baked pumpkin donuts…
7. Make some hot apple cider or pumpkin spice lattes and have a coffee date at home. Baked goods like donuts are good for this too! Check out my post how to make coffee house quality drinks at home for more coffee tips.
8. Go on a hay ride.
9. Rake a pile of leave and have some fun jumping in it.
10. Go through a corn maze.
11. Get outside and play some football, or just throw the ball around.
12. Go to a college or high school football game.
13. Have a tailgate. Even if you’re just watching the game at home it’s fun to make up some tailgate snacks to enjoy while you watch.
14. Find some new cold weather recipes to try. This time of year I always start craving warm dishes like soup and chili.
15. Dress up for Halloween and hand out candy to neighborhood kids.
16. If you don’t get a lot of trick or treaters, see if your church has a trunk or treat and get involved.
17. Have a bonfire and invite some friends. Roast marshmallows and hot dogs on the fire.
18. Go for a nature walk. Take in the crispness of the air and stop to enjoy the scenery around you.
19. Dress in your best fall inspired outfit (think sweaters, boots, maybe even flannel) and get a friend or relative with a decent camera to do a little photo shoot for you. Fall is a great time for pictures so make sure you find a place with lots of pretty colored leaves.
20. Go thrift store shopping or antiquing.
21. Sit by the fireplace, or snuggle up in a blanket and read a book.
22. Have a potluck with some friends. Bring all your favorite Fall inspired dishes.
23. Volunteer at a local shelter or food bank.
24. Take some time to write tell your spouse, friends and family why you are thankful for them this year. Write a note or just tell them, either way let them know they are appreciated.
25. Speaking of thankfulness, start a gratitude journal. Just write down a few things everyday you are thankful for. Keep doing it all year and next year you’ll have a record of all the things you have to be thankful for.
What are your favorite ways to enjoy fall?
Do you have a favorite season?
10 Thrifty Ways to Date Your Spouse This Summer